20 Page St., Ansted, WV 25812, US

(304) 640-3020

image13

The Beginning

Page Vawter House Est. 1890

 The Page Vawter House at Ansted is a  Fayette County landmark, which is as treasured for its beauty as it is  for its history. The site of the stately mansion from Hwy 60, even while  it is deteriorated state, caused people to stop, take pictures and  pause to imagine its beauty in its prime. It was the dream home of a man  as impressive as the house itself.
 

The man was WIlliam Nelson Page who was born near Rustburg, Virginia in  1854. After completing his education in engineering at the University of  Virginia, Page went to work for the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad. The  railroad sent Page to West Virginia several times while it was  completing its historic line through the New River Gorge. On one of  these trips, Page struck up a friendship with the noted English  geologist and surveyor, David Ansted.
 

Page was engaged by the British owned Hawks Nest Coal Company to  engineer the construction of a narrow gauge railroad spur from the town  of Ansted, down the New River Gorge, to the main line of the C&O  Railroad. Page impressed his new employers by completing this major  engineering feat both faster and more cheaply than they had anticipated.  He soon became recognized as an important man to know. Legend maintains  that it was Page who convinced millionaire Henry H. Rogers to build the  Virginian Railway from Deepwater, West Virginia to Tidewater, Virginia.  Fact remains Page service the railway as its chief architect and first  president.
 

By 1878 Captain Page was appointed by the Board of Directors of the  Hawks Nest Coal Company to serve as the company manager. He led that  company through a period of enormous growth until 1884 when it was  reorganized as the Gauley Mountain Coal Company. In 1890, the Gauley  Mountain Coal Company built an elaborate mansion for its president and  general manager on a knoll in the town of Ansted. It was a structure  whose beauty would capture the eyes and imagination of viewers for over a  century.
 

The house was originally built in an L-shape which was laid on a cut  stone foundation. It is a two story frame structure which features a two  and one half story gabled pavilion centered on the front. One of the  most striking features of its design is the expansive wrap around  veranda supported by bracketed columns. The structure is further  enhanced by fifty-two, eight foot tall, double hung windows and five  high, capped, and paneled brick chimneys.
 

No expense was spared on the interior of the house. Inside are 15 room,  plus a dressing room and butler's pantry. Every room in the house is oak  paneled with wainscoting. The woodwork includes door and window facings  of solid walnut and floors of oak. Eleven fireplaces were included to  heat the spacious mansion. Each fireplace has a ceramic tile hearth and  carved Victorian mantel of cherry, oak and walnut. The originality and  grace of its design has served to make the home one of the foremost  landmarks in south central West Virginia.
 

In 1917, Page retired and moved to Washington, D.C. The mansion was  still owned by the Gauley Mountain Coal Company. At that time the coal  company divided the house in two, adding an additional staircase and  removing the original kitchen and servant staircases, as well as adding  two additional rooms. After it had stood empty for several years, the  company offered it to Captain John Vawter who managed the company store  in Ansted. As a trusted friend and employee of Page for over forty  years, Vawter was very familiar with the house. He and his family  initially rented half of the house. Mr. Vawter made it his home until  his death in 1928. After his death the house remained with his son and  daughter, Eugene and Julia Vawter, neither of who ever married. The two  siblings eventually purchased the home in the 1950's. Julia, who out  lived her brother remained in the house until her death in 1983. Miss  Julia's nephew, David Fox, had moved in to to help care for his aunt.  After the death of Miss Julia, David purchased his siblings interest in  the house and remained there until his death in 2005.
 

It has been a strong, graceful presence in the town of Ansted for 120  years. There is no reason this magnificent home shouldn't stand for another 120 years!